Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Is there a more iconic fall beverage than a Pumpkin Spice Latte? It even has it's own code name of PSL and people know exactly what you are talking about! Crazy! Also, I am fully aware that you either LOVE or HATE this kind of drink and spice and maybe even season... how is it that there is so much love/hate for something? There seems to be no middle ground on this one :) Well I'm sure you can imagine what camp I am in- I think it's obvious now since I am making my own at home. It's warms you on so many levels- I had to share!
But truly the main reason why this latte is homemade is because you can control the ingredients and the sweeteners and the spice. I love that! No need to ruin your day with a sugar buzz and crash! This drink is warming for the insides and nourishing for the gut and the immune system. Another favorite warming drink is the Fresh Golden Ginger Milk latte that I LOVE as well!

So maybe we should pretend this is a health tonic and drink daily throughout the fall? I won't stop you and once you see how easy it truly is...well it might save you more than sugar and calories at the drive thru coffee window... :)

Hope you ENJOY and much warm and comforting LOVE to you today!


Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe 
{gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut, seed and refined sugars-free}
for one large mug, but can be easily halved/doubled/tripled

1 cup of milk of choice (I use coconut milk here)
1/2 cup of cold brew coffee (decaf, or sub for black tea, mushroom or dandelion coffee or Dandy Tea)
2 TB of fresh pumpkin puree
1/2 ts. of pumpkin spice blend
1/2 ts. of ground turmeric
1 ts. of finely grated fresh ginger
1 TB of honey, or maple syrup or molasses work here too
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper (to activate the turmeric benefits)

In a small saucepan, put all the above ingredients and warm up until it is steaming but NOT boiling! I taste test when it's not too hot to see if I want more sweetness or more spice before it gets hotter. Then use one of these handy gadgets to froth up the milk and really mix in the ingredients well. Then when all frothy :) Pour into a large 16 ounce mug or separate into two 8 ounce mugs to share. 

Then to finish it plop a dollop of coconut cream and pinch of pumpkin pie spice on top.

I had Coco Whip from So Delicious still in the fridge so I just used that to top this drink but a TB of a whipped coconut cream works too. Or you don't NEED this obviously- but it is a nice coffee-shop-hype addition when at home or entertaining ;) 

Hope you give this YUMMY recipe a try and most especially when you have some of that fresh pumpkin puree leftover or sitting in the fridge this season- this is the best way to use up that little bit of extra you had from that one recipe ;)

Much love as always, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment