Thursday, August 10, 2017

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

This is a little nugget of a recipe I have been making for a few years now. It isn't rocket science, and there are many easy peasy recipes for this out there in world wide web land and Pinterest... buuuutttt, I thought I would share my version anyways because I use a few substituted ingredients to help with yeast overgrowth in the gut.
This is the recipe I was inspired by years ago...
Shannon Martin's Recipe

I switch out white sugar and white vinegar for coconut palm sugar and apple cider vinegar. It's minor but for me and how I am conscience of the over use of vinegar in dressings and such. I always choose apple cider vinegar over any edible vinegar because I have found it to be not as aggravating to candida and high histamine issues I have had over the years. But I guess this is no surprise I use these ingredients in all my baking and they are staples in my pantry.
A wonderful gift in August in the large amounts of fresh fruit, veggies and herbs you can find at your local farmer's market, backyard or road side stands. I bought the above produce at my local farmer's market for a whopping total of TWO dollars. I am sure you could even find it cheaper or maybe you have a garden or access to a friends or family member's garden too. These are so easy and cheap to find right now. So basically you can make this whole quart of pickles for around 2 dollars- what a fun fresh bargain to enjoy this season!
Steph's Version of Refrigerator Dill Pickle Recipe
{gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut, seed and refined-sugars-free}

2 TB of coconut palm sugar
1 TB of sea salt
1 ts. of whole black peppercorns
1/2 ts. of dry mustard powder (or whole seeds)
4 fresh garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
3 cups of pure water
1 handful of fresh dill roughly chopped
1 quart small cucumbers

In a quart sized Ball jar put in the coconut palm sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, chopped garlic and vinegar and fresh dill. Stir if need be so that the sugar and salt dissolve into the vinegar. Then wash and slice up the cucs and layer them in the jar. When up to the top, stop and fill with pure water to cover all of the cucs. I usually give a little shake to let the fluids evenly cover all through the jar. Screw on a top and put in the fridge. I think they taste best after 24 hours and then you can keep them in the fridge for up to two weeks for best tastes in my opinion.

Hope you are enjoying the fresh summer produce from your garden and markets. Much love to you as always and let's enjoy these last few weeks of summer shall we?!? xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment