Saturday, April 22, 2017

Revised Oat Baguette Bread A.K.A. "Soup Bread"

I have now been making this bread for over 3 years and I was reminded that my blog recipe for this bread is a bit off in what I have actually do in making it. I have made this bread several times a week for the last few years and I would not be surprised if I had made it up from 1000 times and if I could make it in my sleep. I love the rolling and the kneading in bread making. This bread is no different and in hope to sharing this amazing recipe with you, I find myself again sharing more of my "fairy-dust" secrets to help you achieve a great loaf of your own to love and share.

My kids call this bread "soup bread" because when I first started making it, they would always want it with soup. So that is what it is known as in our house and seeing how that this is a revised recipe from my original, it seems like a new name might be in order :) Or not :) you decide what you call it. It's mostly just known as bread at our house, but not too interesting I know. If you think of a good name, let me know :)


Oat Baguette Bread
A.K.A Soup Bread Recipe
free of gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, sugar, and can be vegan

3 heaping tablespoons of psyllium husk powder
1 cup of pure water
1 cup of coconut milk beverage (or other non-dairy milk)
2-3 TB of apple cider vinegar
2 TB of olive oil
2 TB of pure honey (or coconut nectar, or maple syrup for vegan versions)

Mix well with a hand whisk until you get a pudding like substance. It make take 3-5 minutes before the psyllium husk powder is fully thickened.

Then add...

2 cups of finely ground fresh GF oat flour (start by adding 1 cup at a time while kneading in)
1 cup of rice flour (white or brown)

1/4 cup of potato starch
1/4 cup of tapioca starch

2 ts. of Hain Baking powder
1 ts. of baking soda
1 ts. of sea salt

1/2-1 cup of rice or oat flour extra for rolling and kneading the dough ball to reduce sticky dough and get a skin of the dough so that you can roll into a loaf or ball for baking.

I've been told the magic is in the kneading- and that might be true. I learned to knead bread at my first bakery job in high school so I have been perfecting the knead for over 15 years now. It is an art. If you are looking for a simple tutorial- I bet googling it will come up with many teachers ;)

Once you knead the loaf into a 12 inch roll with a soft skin then place the loaf on a parchment papered baking sheet and you can use a serated knife to do a few criss crosses or lines. You decide ;)

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes depending on your oven and your altitude. If you like a dark crusty crust then I suggest 60 minutes for sure :)

Happy baking, friends!

Much love as always :)

No comments:

Post a Comment