Friday, November 4, 2016

Pumpkin Date Muffins

I know I just posted a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin a few weeks ago. But after I baked those Caramel Apple Date Muffins last week- I couldn't help myself with a little date and pumpkin baking as well. Dates add such a great taste and texture to GF/vegan baking. I haven't used them much this last summer, and I forgot how much I love them. And if you ask me, they pair so nicely with the fall flavors and spices. They seem to add warmth and richness to everything you add them too. I love dates :) can you tell?!
These do not need as much of the coconut sugar because the dates add a natural sweetness and so if you are one of those people that likes to add sugars and sweetness through fruits rather than powdered substances then this muffin is for you. If that is the case you could omit the coconut sugar completely and add 1/4 cup of more honey or maple syrup and along with the dates I bet you will be more than happy with the level of sweetness. I also added those mini chocolate chips to half of the batter. Some little one {that will remain anonymous} loves a little chocolate in her muffins- and I guess I completely understand :)- but sometimes pumpkin is just as dandy by itself- and these certainly are!

It seems like dates added in the muffins also helps hold texture and moisture for longer than my usual GF baked goods as well. I liked how they were very hearty and had the feel of a regular (gluten) muffin. The recipe has a few more flours in the mix, but if you have started buying these flours you see how making a GF recipe with flour turns out best with a little flour mixing. Not a ton of mixing, but I have found just a little makes a worlds difference. So it doesn't hurt to invest in some of the "weird" flours to have them in the pantry ready for a little mixing while baking. Now for the recipe.... READY, set, HAPPY baking :)

Pumpkin Date Muffin Recipe
free of gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, eggs, refined sugar

1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/3 cup of potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup of rice flour
1 1/3 cup of gluten free oat flour (I grind my own out of GF rolled oats)
2 ts. of baking powder (Hain brand-corn free)
1 ts. of baking soda
1 ts. of sea salt
2 ts. of pumpkin pie spice (or mix up cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar

3/4 cup of date puree This involves pouring 3/4 cup boiling water over 3/4 cup of pitted dates and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes and then blending in a high powered blender to whip up a creamy date-pudding like substance- this would also make a nice dip for fresh apple slices :)

1/4 cup of pure maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
1/3 cup of coconut milk beverage with 1 TB apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh  or canned)
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
1 ts. of pure vanilla extract

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Then add in the wet and whisk together well. Pour into 12 muffin tins and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-28 minutes until browned tops and stiff. Let cool 15-20 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment