Friday, September 9, 2011

Maple Peach Crumble (vegan)

Crumble, crisp, cobbler, whatever you call it, it's delicious! My absolute favorite thing to do with fresh seasonal fruit is make a crumble-crisp. Those fresh fruit juices just ooze and bubble in the oven, smelling like heaven in every corner of the house. Then to eat it warm from the oven, oooo so yummy... always trying not to eat the whole pan. Or share it with every one you love.
But you must save some.

You must.

This yummy dessert can be a special leftover breakfast treat. I mean, it's almost like oatmeal with peaches and cream, isn't?

Let's not forget to top this dessert with a little ice cream. Either make your own, or buy some of my favorite coconut vanilla bean ice cream. Seriously, best. dessert. ever.
Let's start with the peaches, shall we? I bought a half bushel from a local farmer that grew these sweet treats with lots of love and care. I bought a half bushel thinking I had way too many peaches to deal with... can you ever have too many peaches. I'm not sure. I made 3 crisps, bread, baby treats, and froze 8 quarts over a weeks time. And now I'm thinking I may need to buy the rest of that half bushel. I feel like this is 'the summer of the peach'... they are still so sweet and wonderful and it's almost mid September. Fabulous summer fruit!
Don't forget how easy this crumble is too. You mainly just need fresh ripe peaches and a few other staples for a good crumble. You need a good crunchy crumble seed-flour base. No nuts in this recipe. Plus a good dollup of coconut oil, or your favorite vegan butter (Earth Balance soy-free). Or a little of both works too, and a good flavor combo as well. Then with a touch of cinnamon, maple syrup and perhaps some ginger... you have the most wonderful creation invented for peaches. Maple Peach Crumble Recipe (vegan)
1/2 cup of gluten-free oat flour (or grind your own from rolled oats)
1/2 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup of gluten free flour blend ( I used 1/4 cup of sorghum and 1/4 cup of tapioca)
2 TB of chia seed meal (or flax seed meal works here too)
1/2 cup of crushed or lightly ground raw sunflower seeds
1 ts. baking powder
1/2 ts. sea salt
1 ts. of ground cinnamon
1/2 ts. of ground ginger
1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar 
1 TB of non-dairy milk
4 TB of room temperature coconut oil, or vegan butter

Fruit Base:
4-5 cups of roughly chopped peaches (4-6 peaches)
1/4 cup of organic apple juice
3 TB of tapioca flour
1 ts. of ground cinnamon
3 TB of maple syrup

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Then add in the oil and the milk to get a crumble-sticky-like batter that you will crumble over the fresh peaches in the baking pan. In a 9x13 baking pan spread out 4-5 cups of freshly sliced peaches and then sprinkle the flour maple syrup and juice and spice over the peaches. Mix together with a spoon to give the peaches a nice coating of goodness. Then, crumble the base over the peaches and put into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Bake till bubbling and golden brown. Then pull from oven, let cool at least 15 minutes, and then serve warm.... and maybe some ice cream to top. Otherwise, this is perfect as is. ENJOY!I hope you make some fruit crumble this season and remember to celebrate life and love for all it's gifts. We must not take fresh fruit for granted. It is a gift and a true blessing to this gluten-free foodie. I love baking, yes I do, but I also love sharing my sweet gluten-free treats with those I love. I made this crumble (with added fresh blueberries) for my extended family and then devoured it and licked the pan clean in minutes. It is always a treat and it is always a joy to make. I hope you have a fabulous weekend and enjoy these last few weekends of summer-like weather before the crispy chill of fall comes.

Much love to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment