Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Garden Fresh Quinoa Pilaf (vegan)

We have tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes. So beautiful. I have made tomato-everything the past few days, sauce, soup, and the list goes on. I can't help but feel a bit motherly over them since we grew them from seed in our basement. They are our little babies that grew into beautiful plants and gorgeous tomatoes. They are so ripe and fabulous that I could not go back to buying tomatoes from the grocery store that sells them from far, far away. These fresh ripe tomatoes remind you of how wonderful real food can be. If your tomato eating experience lacks flavor or reminds you of eating a plastic toy tomato slice, then friend, you must plant your own tomatoes or buy from your local farmer. You will be converted just after one slice.
It's almost funny to me when I think back on my life of eating vegetables. I used to hate tomatoes, onions and most green things. Maybe I was just a child and lacked mature taste buds, or maybe I was just raised a part from fresh local produce, or maybe I was just so disconnected from where real food came from. Either way, I have seen how fresh real food does make the healing difference for your body. You feel more alive, because the food you are eating is in fact, alive. Not processed in a machine, or genetically modified... these foods that pretend to feed you are only flashy convenience. Maybe you wonder why people that eat fresh food and vegetables seems so happy? Well, it's in the food. It really is. All those vitamins and minerals feed your mind, body and soul and make you happy. True food comes from the ground my friends, and when you decide that fresh food is they best way to eat, then you will be craving more and more of simple dishes like this garden pilaf.


Garden Fresh Quinoa Pilaf Recipe (vegan)
1 cup of chopped sweet onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 cups of chopped zucchini
1 heaping cup of chopped sweet or bell pepper
1 heaping cup of chopped fresh tomato (skins on is ok)
1 1/2 cups of dry quinoa
3 cups of vegetable broth
sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
handful of freshly chopped basil and parsley to serve

In a medium to large pot, saute the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil. Then after a minute add the zucchini and peppers, saute all together for a few more minutes until you noticed them getting soft. Then add the diced tomatoes and keep cooking, you will notice more moisture at this point from the veggies cooking down. Then lastly add the dry quinoa, and broth and stir continually until you have a boil again. Add some sea salt and pepper at this point if you wish to add a touch of flavor while you cook. Turn down the heat and stir occasionally, this dish will take about 15-20 minutes to cook up and you will notice how the quinoa and veggies cook together quite perfectly. Lastly, turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes to fluff up and cool down. Then add the freshly chopped basil and parsley for added freshness, vitamins and flavor. Serve hot, warm or cool. It is perfect for almost any summer dinner or picnic.
This dish I have made again and again this summer. So simple, fresh and easy. I love how a dish like this will go with most anything. I think it will once again be on my Labor Day Weekend Menu and I love how the fresh tomatoes add so much flavor and depth. I will put together a few recipe ideas for Labor Day weekend in my next post. Can you believe we are here already??? Crazy!

Much love to you today!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! I plan to make this for dinner tomorrow. Any ideas on the calories?

    ReplyDelete