Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet Potato & Seed Pancakes (grain & nut-free)

WARNING: These pancakes are extremely healthy, and...they taste like it too :) They are very earthy, chewy and yummy for any health junky or nut. And yet, I know, not all of you consider yourself "nutty, granola off-the-grid-healthy" people, I thought I would share this recipe anyway in effort to share a grain-free and nut-free pancake. And, who knows, this recipe may be just the pancake you are looking for...lots of fiber, minerals and whole goodness. Minus the grains though. The flours and dry ingredients are seed based (hence the title). Like I said, I wanted to try a few grain-less and nut-less recipe ideas, and this is what happened for breakfast. Hearty and fresh!
So, you must considered yourself warned and informed. Yet, let me tell you this, these pancakes are absolutely fabulous for the healthy (and non-healthy) soul...they can be doused in fresh fruit, agave drizzle and a touch of soy-free Earth Balance (or ghee) and you may just feel like you are ready for the day. Instead of maybe on a big breakfast hangover. Trust me, not what you need on a hot summer day like today.
Sweet Potato & Seed Pancake Recipe
1/2 cup of amaranth flour or meal
1/3 cup of buckwheat flour
1/2 cup pre-cooked leftover quinoa (1/3 cup of quinoa flour or flakes could sub)
1/2 cup of sweet potato puree
1 1/2 ts. of baking powder
1/2 ts. of xanthan gum (optional for stiffness, can be made without)
1/2 ts. of stevia powder or 1 TB coconut palm sugar
1 farm fresh egg
1 ts. of pure vanilla
1 cup of non-dairy milk (coconut beverage, hemp, or almond)

Mix all of the above ingredients in a mixing bowl and make sure to whisk out any clumps. Then notices little bubbles in the batter (that is the baking powder doing it's job!). Then, warm a skillet or griddle with a little coconut oil, ghee, or other baking oil. Once skillet is warmed, take a 1/4 cup measuring cup and ladle in 1/4 cup scoop of batter into the pan. You can fit 3-4 small pancakes in a skillet and probably 6-8 pancakes on a traditional griddle. Keep on medium heat to cook, and notice bubbles on the uncooked side that it a sign it is ready to flip to the other side. About 2-3 minutes on each side. Then flip and serve...

Serve hot with fresh fruit, maple or agave nectar drizzle, squeeze of lemon, dollop of ghee or soy free Earth Balance and viola... healthy hearty breakfast ready for eating.
I like how these pancakes offer just as much nutrients as a bowl of porridge, and how they are full of nourishing love. Breakfast should be wonderful...your stomach has been resting and waiting for a colorful nutritious meal. Don't let it starve, and don't feed yourself depleted nutrients. You deserve better. Start out your day with a bang, and you won't feel yucky and sluggish all day. Life is better with breakfast, especially if you are eating some of these lovely healthy babycakes.

May you be filled with love and light today!

Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe. I am more of a waffle fan myself, I like the crispiness better. But I think I will have to give these a try in the ol' waffle maker, since I love hearty, healthy breakfasts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie- Let me know how the waffles turn out! I bet if you let them sit on the griddle for just a minute before transferring they would be less likely to break apart. After a few minutes I have found that my pancakes stick better together and they are actually really moist and chewy. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete