Saturday, April 2, 2011

Banana Butter Pancakes


It's Saturday! One of my favorite days to make a big and special breakfast with my family. Today we made a special banana pancake with sunflower seed butter, which is why these are called "Banana Butter Pancakes." They are so chewy and have a perfectly sweet taste with the added banana and butta'. If you want to drizzle some pure maple syrup, then you have it made!

I love pancakes. There are many ways you can whip them up to be a healthy breakfast. Added pumpkin, fruit or even vegetables and you have a easy way to eat your basic food groups. Don't let yourself get bored with breakfast- make something special and celebrate another day! Every day is a gift and it is important to live for all it is worth. I am reminded of that today as there is so much hurt, pain and troubles in the world. I am so thankful for every day that I get to spend with my loved ones, eat real food and be blessed by God's love and mercy. So many times it is easy to compare your life to others and wish you had something they had.... a "normal-easier" diet, a skinnier waistline, a larger bank account, the list goes on and on. But if you had it, would you be happier, or still wanting something else? I bet the people that do have the "normal-easier" diet, skinnier waistline and larger bank account still want something you have, so it is a vicious circle.

Eating gluten-free can sometimes make you wish for a life of normalcy or a different life in general. You just want to be normal when you go to that restaurant, or out with your friends... you just wish you didn't have to read all the labels and be such a good planner and shopper. Friend, you are not alone. There are many of us. And, we are doing ok, and we are celebrating that we can live gluten-free! Just remember that living gluten-free actually allows you to live. Living with the limitations actually allows you to be better in your day in and day out. You can run the race, you can celebrate with friends, and you can eat those pancakes...

Yeah, you can eat those pancakes. It is a good life living gluten-free. So don't try to hide it. Don't try and wish for something else. You got a gift my friend, it is a life of abundance and love. Don't give up on yourself. Keep looking for new ways to celebrate this life you have been given and take nothing for granted!

Banana Butter Pancake Recipe
1/2 cup of corn flour
1/4 brown rice flour
1/4 cup of millet flour
1 TB of coconut palm sugar
1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk)
2 ts. of baking powder
1 TB of light olive oil or melted coconut oil
3 TB of creamy sunflower butter
1 cup of mushed ripe banana
1 fresh egg, or egg substitute


Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour with a ladle or 1/4 cup measuring cup little cakes into a oiled frying pan or griddle. If you are wondering ho much oil, use about a spoonful-amount. Or use ghee, that works great too. Cook on each side on medium heat for about 2 minutes or until they turn fluffy with no gooey middles. If you want to press your spatula on the pancake to check if it is done, there will be no oozing batter when done.

This recipe makes about 6-8 small pancakes. Enough for 2-3 people. Double this recipe if you want to make enough for 4-6 people. Or, they also freeze really well, so make a big batch and have them in the freezer for an easy thaw out in the morning for a quick on the go breakfast.

Some good toppings for pancakes:
chopped raw seeds or nuts
fresh fruit
fresh jam
toasted coconut or seeds

Drizzle with some pure maple syrup, top with some fresh fruit or a smoothie on the side and you have a hearty yummy, special breakfast!

Now I must go enjoy this day with my family. I hope you do too! Have a happy Saturday and much love to you as always!

Stephanie

5 comments:

  1. MMMMM,...Your gf pancakes look so appeting & pretty too! :)

    I will make them tomorrow evening for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Pass me the syrup, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I love your blog for the recipes, and this post is no exception - YUM!

    But also, the words you have written here particularly struck a cord today. Thank you for reminding me to appreciate all the things I have gained since changing my diet, not just the foods I have lost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I came for the recipe, but I'm going to save it for the encouraging words.

    Our seven year old is newly diagnosed with Celiac's, and I have been feeling the weight of filtering out her diet. She has also noticed that she now has to eat "differently" than her friends. I am going to read this post to her, I know it really encouraged me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pollyw- Thanks for the comment! You guys are not alone- we are doing this gluten-free thing together. May God grant you hope and peace for the journey! Much love to you!

      Delete