Monday, September 21, 2009

Apple-Zucchini Muffins

I have to say the way to wake up in the morning is with a nice cup of tea and a fresh fruit, whole grain muffin. I love smoothies, pancakes, eggs, and more as well, but the simplicity of the fresh warm muffin with a delectable cup of tea is just the "goodmornin" I need to start a busy day. The idea for this muffin recipe comes from the bountiful amounts of apples starting to fill my kitchen. I was able to buy quite a few at the market this week, so I have a variety of sweet ones and tart ones and they are all so beautiful. Apples bring in the crisp air. Apples send the kids off to school. Apples keeps things crisp and sweet in the cooling months of autumn. I love how the fruit of the earth gives more meaning to our seasons. I don't think I would love apples as much if I had them in abundance all year long. I wait patiently all through the end of August to get to September just to see the luscious fruit dripping from the trees they grow on. I mean two months ago I was going on and on about blueberries, but now in this season they seem like old news. I love eating according to the seasons, you can find so much more excitement and joy in the simple things that grow.
The great thing about apples is that you can store them for a very long time fresh if you are able to keep them in a very cool and dry place. Because of this great benefit I am sure I will be inspired to keep the apple recipes coming, so don't think this is the end to something great. I am sure apples could if they try make there way into my recipes maybe even until Christmas... yes, they are the super fruit that lasts. So until then, let's enjoy some muffins to use up some fresh zucchini as well... prefect intro to fall.

Apple-Zucchini Muffins:
1 cup of sweet sorghum flour
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
2 ts. of baking powder
1 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1 ts. of fresh lemon juice with 1 ts. of fresh lemon zest
1 cup of sucant (dehydrated sugar cane juice)
1/2 cup of oil (walnut, light olive, or coconut)
1 cup of non-dairy milk of choice
2 TB of ghee (clarified dairy-free butter) or just add 2 more TB of the above oil.
2 ts. of pure vanilla
2 farm fresh eggs
1/4 cup of raw local honey
1 TB of ground cinnamon
1 ts. of ground cloves
1 ts. of ground nutmeg

2 heaping cups of shredded zucchini
2 heaping cups of freshly diced apples

Mix all the dry and wet ingredients separately and then together. Mix well until all is whipped and the baking powder is starting to bubble a bit. Add in the zucchini and mix, then add the apples lastly and stir all together before scooping into the muffin tins. Fill the tins almost full because it will not bubble over, no need to worry. This recipe makes 18 large muffins, or 24 smaller sized muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. Just make sure that it is cooked all the way through with a toothpic.
The best way I love to eat them is straight from the oven with a little ghee (clarified butter, dairy-free) and a cup of tea. But they also have a good shelf life if you keep them in an air tight zip-lock bag or container. Of course you could always freeze a few too to have at a later date. Enjoy this fresh fall air with a little apple-goodness. Much love to you today!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I have loved making many of your recipes lately! Thank you for sharing so many delicious dishes. I just put these muffins into the oven, and am thinking some liquid was omitted from the recipe. I added about 3/4 to 1 c. of non-dairy milk, and am crossing my fingers. Was there supposed to be a "buttermilk" addition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apryl- Thanks for the comment. I will have to check back on my notes. I made this 2 years ago, so I don't remember at the top of my head...also, It seems like it should have some milk, but not the "buttermilk" mixture. The more I think about it, I may have used some really watery zucchini and it adds a lot of moisture to the baking process. I will make this recipe again soon and see what I come up with as well. I will get back to you, and thanks again for leaving a comment. Hope the turn out!!! Fingers-crossed for ya! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again!
    The muffins were delicious! They turned out great with the addition of about a cup of milk. I used soy because it was what was open in the fridge. I also used pears because we were out of apples. As an aside I made your squash and wild rice soup for lunch with a friend today and she raved about it; so did I, actually. :) Thanks again for such delicious recipes. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apryl- Thanks for the followup. I did some checking up on my recipe notes and yes, I forgot to add the milk to this recipe on this post! AH! Thanks for discovering that and for helping me fix this post for others. I am so glad your muffins turned out and I bet pears made them extra yummy! Thanks for posting and for your blog-love! Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete