Friday, August 28, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Coffeecake (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)


Do you find yourself more cautious to cook and eat since discovering you may have a problem with certain foods? It can be very paralyzing and helpless feeling when you just do not know what to eat to make you feel better. And if you have been on this journey of gluten-free eating for a while you may find times when you just miss good ol' cake and cookies from the younger years of your life. Eating gluten-free is a great reason to never bake again. But really, do you want to live that way? There is something about the learning of food allergies that can either break you, or make you more alive than ever. I choose to find new life in these new discoveries. I choose to be more adventurous and dare-devilish in the kitchen. I believe I can feel better and there is a better way to life than feeling sick all the time. And, that is why I make blueberry coffeecake, gluten-free style. That is why I am grinding almonds and millet in my coffee-grinder. That is why I am picking 20 pounds of blueberries over the weekend... It is all because I have discovered that there is life after gluten allergies, and that there is a much sweeter reward to life when you feel your best. So, this recipe comes out of a place that celebrates new adventures in the kitchen, and bringing hope to healing in a life that needs every ounce it can get. I hope the best for you today, and I hope you try something new. Make yourself go out and try that new recipe that you have been staring at and thinking how good it must be. Don't let fear and despair rule your life anymore... there is hope. Keep adding doses of fresh life to yours everyday. Oh and here's the new recipe for the day....:)

P.s. This recipe is also grain-free, so if you are trying an experiment in how eating grains may be affecting your digestion or symptoms... then this is a treat for you.

Blueberry Crumb Coffeecake:
1 cup of ground almonds (this is where I grind a cup of raw almonds in my coffee grinder or store bought almond flour works too)
1 cup of millet flour (I also ground millet seeds in the grinder as well)
1/2 cup of sifted coconut flour
1 1/2 ts. of aluminum free baking powder
1/2 ts. of baking soda
1/2 ts. of sea salt
1 cup of hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk option)
1/2 cup of walnut oil (or other unrefined baking oil)
1 ts. of pure vanilla
6 large farm fresh free range eggs

2 heaping cups of fresh blueberries

Mix all the ingredients above together and whip up real good so that everything is mixed thoroughly. Then add the blueberries and mix carefully. Pour into a 9x13 baking Pyrex pan that has been greased with oil. After pouring in the batter, you can mix up and top with the crumble.

Crumble:
1/2 cup of sucanat or use organic brown sugar to make it even better...
2 TB of millet flour
1 TB of ground cinnamon

Mix all together with a fork or your hand and then crumble all over the top of the cake. Now you are ready for baking...Put the cake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour depending on your oven.

After baking let cool for a few minutes and then cut into big squares. The 9x13 pan will serve 15 large square pieces or 18 smaller. I hope you try this one and enjoy the luxury of waking up and enjoy a piece with a nice cup of tea or coffee... Or serving it up as a great dessert with friends. Much peace to you today...

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I bet the coconut flour goes nicely with the blueberries. And you can't go wrong with a crumb topping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious, but better just a half tsp of cinnamon, 1 tbs is WAY too much....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great recipe, makes a large cake (I go frugal and use 5 eggs :), still good)! I agree about gluten-free baking - it can be challenging at first but the result products actually taste better than gluten-full baked goods I had before. When you go gluten free you are more creative and end up using ingredients that are tasty, flavorful and healthy as oppose to simple - flour, sugar and butter in regular baking. I am not on gluten free diet but all my baking is gluten free and I am not changing it!

    ReplyDelete