Thursday, July 30, 2009

Salmon Coleslaw Salad

Sometimes I feel like I am missing energy in the middle of the day, do you ever feel like that? A good protein-filled nutritious lunchtime meal usually helps me. It helps keep the digestive fire moving through the busiest hours of the day. And I know I always feel best when I am consciously eating a balanced nutritious meal around the lunch hour and it keeps me from snacking in the later afternoon. So here is a simple lunch recipe to top on your favorite gluten-free crackers or bread. My most favorite convenient gluten free bread is from Sami's Bakery... the millet flax bread is the best! After trying this bread, you will never miss "real" bread again. I am a busy woman, and if I have the time to make a gluten-free bread then I will, but most of the time it is nice to pick up a loaf of this bread at the local health food store. The bakery is out of Florida and they ship to many stores, and they do to some of the local stores in Grand Rapids. I really love this bread and swear by it being the best gluten-free bread out there.

This recipe can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, but if you like salmon and you like coleslaw, then why not mix them and have a duo. Enjoy!!!

Recipe:
2 cans of boneless wild Alaskan salmon (or 5-6oz. of baked/grilled fresh salmon)
1/3 cup of organic mayonnaise
2 cups of chopped red cabbage
2 cups of chopped green cabbage
1 small yellow onion diced very small
1/4 cup of mustard
1 TB of balsamic vinegar
cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
Fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, and basil) for added flavor and fresh-ness
Optional:
dried cranberries (1 /4 cup for added taste)
crushed pecans or almonds (1/4 cup) for added flavor and crunch
Mix all the above ingredients after chopping and mixing up for consistant texture. It's that easy, and a great way to add fresh cabbage and herbs to a summer-day lunch. Why not, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment