Monday, June 29, 2009

Homemade Hummus


Hummus brings me back to a time when I was traveling in the Middle East some years back and I could buy hummus by the barrels. Literally. There were shops at the market places where you could buy barrels of it, and I usually didn't because how could I possibly? Well, then again in those days I was also eating the fluffy freshly baked breads and pitas that were fresh from the fire. Yeah.. that is how I would eat all that hummus. It was interesting to me how they seemed to make it perfect every time and when I got home I tried to make it just as theirs and it never seemed to be just right. It must be some secret ingredient I don't know about...

Now, no longer finding pita to match with hummus I usually chop lots of fresh veggies, add it to a salad, spread it on a Gluten-Free wrap with veggies and sprouts, and add it to a homemade meal of falafel. It is more of a condiment now that it was before. It is fun to add new spices and flavors to the blend and get creative with it. 

Here is my basic recipe:
3 cups of rinsed chickpeas (garbanzo beans) 
2/3 cup of sesame Tahini ( sesame nut butter/oil)
2 large cloves of garlic
1 ts. of ground cumin
1 ts. of paprika
1 ts. of sea salt
3/4 cup of pure water
3 TB of freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 TB of extra virgin olive oil 

Blend in a blender or food processor for 2 minutes or until creamy smooth.

Pour in a container to cool in fridge or serve fresh from the blender. It is best when it is kept refrigerated after eating as well.

Add a drizzle of olive oil, and fresh chopped parsley and a dash of paprika. I like to use some chopped basil sometimes as well.  If you are looking to dress it up a bit ad some fresh herbs before blending, or some red peppers, or pesto sauce I have also tried... it can easily be dressed up for any occasion. 

Serve with fresh tortilla chips, or a gluten-free cracker/chip of choice. Chopped carrots, celery, peppers, cucumbers are only some of my favorite veggies with hummus. It is a great snack to pack for picnics or outdoor outings. I will be bringing a batch of it with me this weekend when I travel to the great outdoors for some fresh air and boating. It is great to share with friends, and it so much cheaper when you make a batch as home compared to buy a little tub at the grocery store. 

So enjoy and share with your friends, they will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment